here is a book thread

A place where you won't get an infraction for being polite.
pano
Totals M'Gotals

here is a book thread

Post by pano »

It is for books.

I'm midway through Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy, and it's pretty great.

I also finished Hyperion not too long ago and really loved it. I need to go back and read The Fall of Hyperion soon, but that can wait until the First Law is done with.

I guess you nerds can tell me what you're reading too.
isgrelindisguise
Totals M'Gotals

Re: here is a book thread

Post by isgrelindisguise »

All I read are comic books and William Gibson novels.
hi
Pewps
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Pewps »

I'm reading St. Augustine's Confessions rn
Thaed
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Thaed »

Wimble wrote:
I'm midway through Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy, and it's pretty great.
Yesssssssss.

Finished Red Sister by Mark Lawrence not too long ago, probably my favourite book (and favourite author) since Abercrombie. Pretty masterful world-building, and reading Harry Potter except with murder-nuns instead of wizards is fun.
fallenchicken
Totals M'Gotals

Post by fallenchicken »

A couple weeks ago I read I'm Thinking of Ending Things, which is a cool, dark, and fast paced thriller. Charlie Kaufman is apparently doing a movie adaption.

I've starting the La Quartet by James Ellroy--a series of noire novels, including LA Confidential. I'm halfway through the first one, The Black Dahlia, and it is very good.
stan van bundy
Sobchak
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Sobchak »

Reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Guy-man. It's a fast read, pretty goofy.

Before this I trudged through Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse. Have any of you read it? It was good at parts, impassable in others.

On to Sometimes A Great Notion next, but I'm hoping to binge on some books like Earthsea.
isgrelindisguise
Totals M'Gotals

Post by isgrelindisguise »

Sobchak wrote: On to Sometimes A Great Notion next, but I'm hoping to binge on some books like Earthsea.
Ursa real good and every portlander should read her. Last book of hers I read was The Left Hand of Darkness and it's barely more than a an elaborate socialogic cross-section of a fictional society. Probs what sometimes happens when you're raised by a famous anthropologist.
hi
Sobchak
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Sobchak »

isgrelindisguise wrote:
Sobchak wrote: On to Sometimes A Great Notion next, but I'm hoping to binge on some books like Earthsea.
Ursa real good and every portlander should read her. Last book of hers I read was The Left Hand of Darkness and it's barely more than a an elaborate socialogic cross-section of a fictional society. Probs what sometimes happens when you're raised by a famous anthropologist.
I wasn’t really informed of her until she died. Portland media spent a week pouring over her works afterward and it sounded really intriguing. Is that the only one you’ve read or do you have other recommendations?

And yeah her upbringing sounded pretty fascinating.
Darth Snuggles
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Darth Snuggles »

Last year I only managed to read two books. One was Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang, a collection of short stories, one of which inspired the Arrival movie. The other was Leviathan Wakes, the first in the Expanse series. Completely worth reading if you even only moderately enjoyed the TV show.

Yesterday I started reading Altered Carbon, yes another TV show! :lol: Don't have the luxury of picking random books anymore.

Actually I tell a lie when I say I only read two books, I should say adult books. I think I read fucking Wocket in my Pocket and Giraffes Can't Dance a bajillion times. Good reads, highly recommend :lol: