Dark Souls 3

A place where you won't get an infraction for being polite.
fallenchicken
Totals M'Gotals

Re: Dark Souls 3

Post by fallenchicken »

this crab is a scumbag and a shame to his race
stan van bundy
Pewps
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Pewps »

Just hit it in its weak spot for massive damage
Sigmarsson
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Sigmarsson »

Pewps wrote:Just hit it in its weak spot for massive damage
Is that what they did in ancient Japan
Pewps
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Pewps »

UGH I'm stuck at work and I want to PLAAAAAAAAAAAAY
Thaed
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Thaed »

Done.

I wish I could be more like Big Moist.

phpBB [video]
Pewps
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Pewps »

I finally got invaded by a player, it was a good fight but I lost

He was an HONORABU red phantom, I was about to get my ass beat by two giant enemy crabs and he let me run away and heal before attacking me. I got him down to like 30% but then he hopped back and flasked. I tried to strong attack leap at him, but I misjudged my weapon reach and pretty much did the flying nothing, and then he hit me in the face with some spell and I died

It was alright
Grommok
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Grommok »

proudaya son
Sigmarsson
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Sigmarsson »

Can someone explain to me the parry/counter attack system in dark souls 2? I swing my shield at guys up close and it literally does nothing, as if they are a ghost. I try timing the swing with the beginning of an attack animation and their attack usually still carries on through absolutely destroying me. I was able to stun the pursuant once with it but then it failed the second time and I died and I have no idea why it didn't work?
Pewps
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Pewps »

Sigmarsson wrote:Can someone explain to me the parry/counter attack system in dark souls 2? I swing my shield at guys up close and it literally does nothing, as if they are a ghost. I try timing the swing with the beginning of an attack animation and their attack usually still carries on through absolutely destroying me. I was able to stun the pursuant once with it but then it failed the second time and I died and I have no idea why it didn't work?
It's been so long since I've played, but I remember trying to use parrying to kill the pursuer and in the end I lost patience and just opted for inching his health down by getting in the occasional attack while using fast rolls to avoid his shit

But if you're gonna go that route, it might be better to get a buckler or some kind of shield that has a much larger parry window
Thaed
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Thaed »

Pewps wrote:
Sigmarsson wrote:Can someone explain to me the parry/counter attack system in dark souls 2? I swing my shield at guys up close and it literally does nothing, as if they are a ghost. I try timing the swing with the beginning of an attack animation and their attack usually still carries on through absolutely destroying me. I was able to stun the pursuant once with it but then it failed the second time and I died and I have no idea why it didn't work?
It's been so long since I've played, but I remember trying to use parrying to kill the pursuer and in the end I lost patience and just opted for inching his health down by getting in the occasional attack while using fast rolls to avoid his shit

But if you're gonna go that route, it might be better to get a buckler or some kind of shield that has a much larger parry window
With the exception of a couple of DS1 fights, I just forewent using a shield altogether. Rolls work well enough for most bosses/enemies (Pursuer just roll to the right each time he goes to attack). Having points in adaptability, I think, for DS2 is pretty important if you want to go that route, though.
fallenchicken
Totals M'Gotals

Post by fallenchicken »

bring out the gimp
stan van bundy
Sigmarsson
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Sigmarsson »

Thaed wrote:
Pewps wrote:

With the exception of a couple of DS1 fights, I just forewent using a shield altogether. Rolls work well enough for most bosses/enemies (Pursuer just roll to the right each time he goes to attack). Having points in adaptability, I think, for DS2 is pretty important if you want to go that route, though.
I got better at shield bashing to stun him. I tried that and running to the ballistas to take him out. But of probably a dozen attempts in 40 minutes, I hit him only once or twice because he often would just run to the edge of the deck and out of the guns LOS. Very frustrating. And I would sometimes do the dodge to the right, but he would occassionaly mix up his long charge with a stab to a long charge with a wide left swing so the dodge would fuck me up. Took a break and went for the dragonrider? instead, took him down on my second attempt.
Pewps
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Pewps »

I don't like the Abyss Watchers
fallenchicken
Totals M'Gotals

Post by fallenchicken »

Pewps wrote:I don't like the Abyss Watchers
fuck those dudes
stan van bundy
Pewps
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Pewps »

So I rerolled again because that's what I do a million times when I start playing an RPG, and I decided to do some invasions right at level 10. Apparently it's common for everyone to run around with 2 phantoms helping to clear everything? Literally all 5 invasions were one host and 2 phantoms. The ONLY time I won was because 5 seconds after I entered the world, the dragon breathed fire on them and killed all 3.

Although there should be an honorable mention for one host, who let me go onesies-onesies with each of his phantoms first. The phantoms were each at like 50-60% health so it wasn't too hard to kill them. And then I fought him, which by that point I was at like 35% and ended up losing.

Dishonorable mention for another host who night-at-the-roxburied me and then they all spammed emotes when I was getting sent back

I actually managed to get into a 'fight club' in the last world I invaded, which was cool. It was the host, a blue phantom, a white phantom and another red phantom. The other red phantom had loot from way after Lothric High Wall so I guess some people are trying to twink.

I just wanted some honorable combat but people too scurred

The 1-handed battle is not good for PvP, also. It's too slow, and unlike swords whose battle art can be used as a good gap closer, the battle axe has no such feature
fallenchicken
Totals M'Gotals

Post by fallenchicken »

I beat an invader phantom today which was cool. I spent like a day grinding to get my strength up so i could use the greataxe, and a couple of hits puts down a phantom. Since my hollowing is so high i can't see friendly phantom summing signs, but i imagine a lot of people co-op easy mode the game/cheese their character up with it.
stan van bundy
Thaed
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Thaed »

Pewps wrote:So I rerolled again because that's what I do a million times when I start playing an RPG, and I decided to do some invasions right at level 10. Apparently it's common for everyone to run around with 2 phantoms helping to clear everything? Literally all 5 invasions were one host and 2 phantoms. The ONLY time I won was because 5 seconds after I entered the world, the dragon breathed fire on them and killed all 3.

Although there should be an honorable mention for one host, who let me go onesies-onesies with each of his phantoms first. The phantoms were each at like 50-60% health so it wasn't too hard to kill them. And then I fought him, which by that point I was at like 35% and ended up losing.

Dishonorable mention for another host who night-at-the-roxburied me and then they all spammed emotes when I was getting sent back

I actually managed to get into a 'fight club' in the last world I invaded, which was cool. It was the host, a blue phantom, a white phantom and another red phantom. The other red phantom had loot from way after Lothric High Wall so I guess some people are trying to twink.

I just wanted some honorable combat but people too scurred

The 1-handed battle is not good for PvP, also. It's too slow, and unlike swords whose battle art can be used as a good gap closer, the battle axe has no such feature
Apparently you're more likely to invade worlds with multiple phantoms. If you hang around a bit, I think there's a decent chance that more invaders will show up.

Also, you could try out the Mound Makers covenant, if you haven't found it already. Lets you get rewards for killing phantoms, not just the host. Spoilers for the locations since I don't know how much everyone here cares about spoilers.
Note that you have to do this before you fight the tree. So from the first undead village bonfire, head through the house and across the bridge to the right. Roll through some crates in front of the next house to take the path around the outside (if you went inside, there would be two pitchfork guys who get up as you run past them). Run past/kill the bullshit thralls on the way to the ladder. Go up the ladder, kill the bastards with their bastard darts, and on the other side of the house there should be a guy walking around with a cage on his back. Walk up to him (he isn't hostile) and hop in.
If you already knew all that I feel kinda dumb.
fallenchicken wrote:I beat an invader phantom today which was cool. I spent like a day grinding to get my strength up so i could use the greataxe, and a couple of hits puts down a phantom. Since my hollowing is so high i can't see friendly phantom summing signs, but i imagine a lot of people co-op easy mode the game/cheese their character up with it.
Pretty sure hollowing doesn't effect summon signs. Could be either that you're not embered or your out of the level/weapon level range of everyone who has a sign down.
Pewps
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Pewps »

Thaed wrote:Apparently you're more likely to invade worlds with multiple phantoms. If you hang around a bit, I think there's a decent chance that more invaders will show up.
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of it. I don't usually like having to hide behind monsters as a red phantom, but if that's the case then I'll just have to be a dick when I wraith and use the monsters to my advantage.
Pewps
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Pewps »

@Chicken/Thaed

Do either of you have a Gargoyle Flame Spear on any of your characters? Apparently you can set a password to join with players regardless of their soul level, and I thought it'd be fun to start a character with a weapon I wouldn't normally get until the latter half of the game
Thaed
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Thaed »

Pewps wrote:@Chicken/Thaed

Do either of you have a Gargoyle Flame Spear on any of your characters? Apparently you can set a password to join with players regardless of their soul level, and I thought it'd be fun to start a character with a weapon I wouldn't normally get until the latter half of the game
Don't have that spear, no. I do have a +5 Dragonslayer Spear/Dragonslayer Swordspear on a character that I don't plan on using, if you'd like either of those. Pretty neat weapon arts. Steam name is thaed1342.
Pewps
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Pewps »

Thaed wrote:Dragonslayer Swordspear

hwat the fug is this
Pewps
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Pewps »

I can't find anyone in steam with that name Thaed
Thaed
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Thaed »

Pewps wrote:I can't find anyone in steam with that name Thaed
Oh. Try obligation_42. Didn't realise the account name was different.
Don't judge me.
Sigmarsson
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Sigmarsson »

I was going to try a parry build this time around for ds3, but ive been trying to practice parry the first boss and ive already died 8 times. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, one out of 5 parry's hits and ive been watching videos to try and mimic what other people do but it aint working.