Star Wars Spoiler Thread Full of Spoilers that will Spoil

A place where you won't get an infraction for being polite.
isgrelindisguise
Totals M'Gotals

Star Wars Spoiler Thread Full of Spoilers that will Spoil

Post by isgrelindisguise »

So I enjoyed the movie, but I don't think I'm going to be in the crowd rating it higher than Return of the Jedi. There were some things that I loved, some things that I liked, and some things that I was not a fan of.

The Love
I was so worried about the casting of Daisy Ridley and John Boyega. I had seen Attack the Block and to be honest, Boyega was just sort of sullen in that movie, most of the fun revolved around the rest of the gang. I love Finn and Rey.

Rey was great. I loved how she was both excited by the adventure while not wanting to get too involved. I liked that she was a badass and was discovering her powers without the help of someone who understands them. I liked her staff and the quip about all the green on the pirate world.

Finn is tops. I liked all the fake it until you make it moments he had. That line about using the force towards towards the end of the movie was the best line in the film.

Finn and Poe stealing a Tie-Fighter and FInn, BB-8 and Rey stealing the Falcon were two great scenes. Fin and BB-8 doing the thumbs up was the best.

I liked Kylo Renn a lot. I thought they did a good job of portraying him as very much a work in progress. He doesn't have any of the refinement of all the other Dark Side villains shown in the movies, who are shown as conspiring, brilliant and controlling masters of the Dark Side, and Renn has the potential to be a new kind of villain the series defs needs. Ren and Rey growing in power over the course of a trilogy would be super cool.

The Lightsaber Fight might be my favorite one of all the movies. By the time it happened I was invested in all the characters present. I liked Finn holding ground against an injured Ren, I thought that illustrated that Ren was a work in progress. I liked Ren hitting his wounds. When he was trying to retrieve the lightsaber, everyone knew whose hand it was going to end up in and the payoff was still excellent. I liked Ren trying to convince himself of his own competence when trying to take Rey as an apprentice.
What I Disliked
I was not a fan of Poe being absent for the middle 60% of the movie. I did not like that Poe never really interacted with Rey. If you're trying to build a central core of 3 protagonists, they should interact with each other.

I did not like the Small Yellow Pirate thing or her bar. I thought they panned over their patrons too quickly for me to get a good look at them, I thought that her relationship with Han and Chewie was forced and I found her words of wisdom boring. I liked her glasses, and I liked Rey's vision when she touched the lightsaber though.

I really disliked the two pirate gangs boarding Han's freighter scene. Uninteresting adversaries being slaughtered by uninteresting hentai monsters. I feel like there could be better ways to get Finn, Rey and Han on the same side and on the Falcon.

I didn't think they did the dogfights particularly well. I had a hard time tracking individually ships and I think JJ cut his shots too quickly for me to really pick up what was going on. The exception to this being the battle where FInn, fighting on the ground, witnesses Poe wrecking stuff in the skies. My difficulties could have been because of the 3D though, hard to say.

I hated the starkiller thing. Whatever. I've seen it in 2 other movies. Yay super weapon. New plot device plz. zzzzzzzzzz.

I disliked Phasma lowering the shield for FInn n friends so easily. Good job, you single handedly cost your side the battle. Defs belongs in trash compactor.

I didn't see a single fucking Ithorian.
Things I liked!
I liked that they killed Han. I didn't expect it. I didn't like it at the time, but I like it now. I thought he was taking too much of the movie away from the new cast, I think it was good for Ren's development, I like how chewie went ballistic afterwards, I liked Rey and FInn's reaction and I thought that his touching of Kylo's face was a good Obi Wan moment. He may be dead, but I think he still has power over Ren.

I liked that end scene. Luke's Beard 10/10.

I liked the Weesely brother as an imperial general and his disdain for the unrefined Ren.
hi
fallenchicken
Totals M'Gotals

Re: Star Wars Spoiler Thread Full of Spoilers that will Spoi

Post by fallenchicken »

Rey and Finn are OP and amazing. Agree about the lack of Poe being a disappointment, as if he was great too. Overall it's a pretty exciting start because all the new cast members are great.

Final shot was dope af.
stan van bundy
pano
Totals M'Gotals

Post by pano »

I think there was minimal Poe because there was so much Han. Finn and Poe bromance to kick off in episode 8.

It doesn't seem clear to me now, but is Finn force sensitive? (edit: wookiee says no)

Weird niggles were all the talk of the "light side" and the conversation between Han and Leia about Ben being seduced by the dark side, and that they needed to redeem him. Just the wording in this conversation felt weird to me.

Agree with grel about the hentai monster scene being worst in the film, and with chicken about looking forward to non JJ directing.

BB-8 thumbs up is what movies were made for.
Grommok
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Grommok »

Just came back, loved it. Finn def favourite character, but they were all great.
Although it started miserably because I got sick an hour before the movie and I felt awful, then I had to shit in a crowded bathroom. Needless to say, it was very awkward. Fuck you, Chinese food.

The final lightsaber duel was gorgeous. The way the snowflakes got illuminated by the lightsabers was 10/10.
I did read spoilers before watching it because I just couldn't resist. But that didn't really diminish anything for me.
Also I rewatched RotJ yesterday and I don't know, didn't like it all that much, enjoyed my rewatching of Empire a lot more. I think I'd rate this one after Empire and New Hope.

Also also, I really liked the retro targeting system in the Falcon.
Sobchak
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Sobchak »

I wish I was Finn only to get the thumbs up from BB-8. Whole theatre was in stitches at that part, and our theatre was mostly shit as far as hype goes.

Oscar Isaac was cool. Really liked his whole exchange with Kylo to start. Rey and Finn seem awesome and I agree 100 percent with Grel regarding Han. I hope Mark Hammill gets to be a badass in the Yoda role in the next two films.

Kylo stopping the blaster was awesome, too, and it made me wonder how much force use we will see in this trilogy. Force use was understated in the original, then maybe overblown in the prequels. I guess I expected maybe one big Force leap off that narrow-ass death-bridge.

I was not a big fan of Starkiller Base. It clocked maybe 40 minutes as an entire concept, from when it was introduced to destroyed, I think. I had no stake in it, so all that puffed up size and power was ultimately just gratuitous. Like one of those big shitty Euro-rock bands with two drummers and an electric violin doing cover songs of the Beatles.
Sobchak
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Sobchak »

Grommok wrote:I did read spoilers before watching it because I just couldn't resist.
Jesus Christ Grommok. Agrel on the falcon targeting though.
Darth Snuggles
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Darth Snuggles »

BB-8 thumbs up is the greatest single moment in SW history. Just shitting all over R2 as best plucky/batshit crazy droid companion.

Ackbar turning up to say they can't penetrate shields of that magnitude! Or whatever the fuck he said, I don't know I was losing my shit.

Solo/Pirate gang stand off and alien escape felt more Star Trek to me than SW, but it's a minor thing in an otherwise fantastic film.

All the Kylo/Solo/Leia stuff, right in the feels. So much more subtlety of emotion and drama than ever was mustered in prequels. Kylo being all torn and emotional without getting all Anakin on us, thank god.

Disappointed at lack of Poe, but enjoying what we did see. Rey is good but I'm really most excited about Finn, I think seeing a Storm trooper with a human story was great.

My biggest disappointment is that mini snuggles is too little to have watched it with me. But at least now when I've shown her the OT and she asks if there are more SW films, I can say yes!
pano
Totals M'Gotals

Post by pano »

Is it weird that I felt like Driver did seem very Anakin (and dare I say it, Hayden) but in a good way? His whining felt similar but better or something.
Darth Snuggles
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Darth Snuggles »

Yes, it felt like a sort of petulant emotional young man at times, but importantly with more emotional depth. Like I felt as though it seemed that he felt under pressure to live up to his grandfather or something. To have the power he has but to not know what to do with it. I mean the struggle within him between light and dark certainly felt more real and understandable. Imagine a teenager rebelling against a father figure but also being able to stop blaster fire, I mean wtf, no wonder the guy has issues. Hayden's anger always felt so forced and ridiculous, which is why it was just so whiny and unbearable. I liked that every time his mask came off it was so effective a reminder that he's just this kid, really. He looked vulnerable to me. So many echoes of ROTJ Vader, I thought it was very well done.

I especially loved the moment after Rey escapes and the storm troopers are like, whoa hold up he's having a tantrum lets just back away slowly.
fallenchicken
Totals M'Gotals

Post by fallenchicken »

Also, Driver is at least a real actor. So he will always have that over Hayden.

And yeah the whole Deathstar 2 thing didn't work for me. I thought it was funny/self-parady with them all going around and exposition the obtuse and nonsensical plan to disable the shields and destroy the deathstar 2:bigger, badder... then they just hold up one stormtrooper and she's able to disable all the shields.

Also when Fin helps Poe escape, he just walks him through the crowded hanger and no other storm troopers stop to ask where he's taking the high profile republic prisoner.

Empire really needs to work on security.
stan van bundy
pano
Totals M'Gotals

Post by pano »

Worse actor, sure, but worse writing behind him as well. Anyway, for what it's worth I enjoyed the similarities between the two.

It was cool that these Stormtroopers were actually competent. Like that village at the start didn't do so good. You could be forgiven for thinking Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, and that fucken Ewok :cry: are the only casualties at the hands of OT Stormtroopers.

Starkiller killing stars was neat, but otherwise I was pretty zzz as people have said. Hopefully there's less superweapon-y garb in episode 8. Parallel Force training will be fun; Rey and Luke, and Ren and Snoke. I bet Snoke is really little. Lord Farquaad of Star Wars.
isgrelindisguise
Totals M'Gotals

Yeah that planet with the city, was that coruscant?

Agreed about an akin kylo. Really like how force powers were muted. Hope they get into rediculous shit by movie 3 tho. Progression and all that.
hi
Darth Snuggles
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Darth Snuggles »

I was under the impression it was Coruscant. Destroying the senate and the new republic.

Kind of hilarious that they brought down the Empire only for this New Order to rise that is a hundred times worse when it comes to mass murder.

I assume Captain Phasma is actually still alive?
pano
Totals M'Gotals

Post by pano »

Force powers were muted overall but in that first scene where Kylo freezes the blaster bolt I was like, "Oh shit, what are they up to?" But from there it was mainly visions, mind reading and mind tricks. P neat.

On Phasma:
But you won't see Phasma tapping out after being carelessly knocked into a sarlacc pit like a wobbly toddler. Kennedy has big plans for Phasma and confirmed that the captain will carry on into the next movie. "She's an important character, a baddie in the best sense of the word."
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/he ... story.html

Pleasing, but lol @ the bold part. I feel like Finn has made a nemesis out of her though, which is always fun.
isgrelindisguise
Totals M'Gotals

Internet says Hosnian System or something. Maybe the home of Mon Mothma. First Order and Resistance aren't well explained at all. But I guess they don't have to be. That's what the Sequel-Prequel trilogy will be for.

The weird Poe Dameron not being in the movie thing was sort of explained:
Isaac says he had been summoned to Paris for what he suspected might be a role in The Force Awakens. Sure enough, earlier that day, he had met with Abrams, screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan, and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, and Abrams had pitched him the character of Poe Dameron, a badass fighter pilot battling against the remnants of the Empire.

“He’s amazing!” said Abrams.

“Sounds good!” thought Isaac, whose first experience in a movie theater had been seeing The Empire Strikes Back.

“He opens the whole movie!” said Abrams.

“Sounds great!” thought Isaac.

“And then,” Abrams went on. “He dies.”
And Later:
“I went back home [to New York], and I thought about it,” he says. “Then I wrote him and said, ‘Okay. I’ll do it!’ I figured it would be a cameo: I’ll come in, do my thing, and maybe it’s actually better not to have to sign myself up for three movies.” By that time, though, things had changed and Abrams soon wrote back: “Never mind. I’ve figured it out. You’re in the whole movie now.”
So his survival was sort of tacked on. Weird not to have a short scene of him getting off Jakku, but maybe we'll see in DVD extras.

http://www.gq.com/story/star-wars-the-f ... cter-death
hi
pano
Totals M'Gotals

Post by pano »

Did we visit any old planets? Don't think so...

Apparently the Republic didn't want to directly oppose the First Order so Leia made the Resistance, which the Republic then secretly funded. I read this on reddit though so I dunno

EDIT: Maybe this was explained in the films and I missed it, but the people I saw it with didn't really get this distinction either.
Darth Snuggles
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Darth Snuggles »

General Weasley mentions something about the Republic secretly funding the resistance, supporting chaos etc, during his Hitler rant I think it was.

At first I thought I would be annoyed about this whole Knights of Ren thing, but it's actually better I think. It means they can do different things with force powers and when all the hyper nerds go "that's not how the force works" or "Vader/Revan was the greatest Sith and even they couldn't freeze blaster bolts midair", the easy reply is, well maybe these Ren guys study different techniques etc.

Also that reference to Fett and the Sarlacc is hilarious. Good to know Phasma will be bad, seemed odd to have such a distinctly different Storm Trooper only for her to Jar Jar Binks the Super Death Star (I don't remember what they actually called it). Also I'm not even going to start on the whole drawing energy til the sun disappears thing. Probably my biggest niggle about the film but BB8 is so awesome I can forgive almost anything haha.
Sobchak
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Sobchak »

Yeah I like that they alluded to the Knights of Ren but we still gotta see what they're all about.

Why is everyone saying niggles?
pano
Totals M'Gotals

Post by pano »

ur my niggle
Sobchak
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Sobchak »

Wimble wrote:ur my niggle
:D
badfo
Totals M'Gotals

Post by badfo »

LOVED IT.

It was genuinely funny. I was worried it would be too reverent and serious but they kept you laughing throughout. BB-8 thumps up is iconic. BB-8 is iconic. Breakout star. Best thing ever. Amazing. Rey and Finn together had so many hilarious moments.

I love that Rey, Finn and Kylo all acted their age without being annoying. They weren't battle hardened warriors (well maybe Kylo is?) and they didn't act like it. Really loved Rey not taking any of FInn's "grab my hand" shit during that attack on Jakku. Bitch I know how to run. Also I agree that Kylo was quasi-Anakin at parts but done much better. He was angry and immature but not melodramatic.

Loved Oscar Isaac. Seeing that they originally planned for him to die makes sense. I'm guessing like Salo he'll have a much bigger role in the next two.

Agree about super weapon but ultimately I don't care all that much about it being reused. Worst scene was that weird mind force battle between Rey and Kylo. Lasted a bit too long. Also could probably cut the Cthulu shit and go right to the bar without losing much.

Overall I think it exceeded my expectations. I was cautiously optimistic but most of my worries seem to be unfounded now. That ending scene. They did a good job making Hamill and Fisher look not super deranged and homeless.

RIP Han, even though you should have died in Jedi.

Saw it with my nephew. He enjoyed it, though it was maybe a bit long for him and he was kind of restless during the dialogue in the middle of the film but he got back into it once the action started again. His favorite character is Kylo which is a relief because he's got some Kylo stuff coming for Christmas.

Also: crossguard lightsaber and some of the dumb ass names (Snoke!!!!!!!!!!!!) were less silly in the movie than I thought they would be.
Sobchak
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Sobchak »

Agreed on all counts. Snoke's name is dumb but I learned today Andy Serkis plays him, which is about as good a news as you can get with that character.
Darth Snuggles
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Darth Snuggles »

badfo wrote:
RIP Han, even though you should have died in Jedi.
I read a good post on reddit re: Han's death and the outrage it is causing online. But they made the excellent point that Han could have died so many times in the OT and they all would have been fairly meaningless. At least this way he went out trying to save his son.

That was a pretty emotional scene for me and right up to the very end I was like, please, please all you have to do is let go of the saber and go home with your Dad!!

I'm sad that Han is dead. I'm sad that the original trio will never be together again. I feel so bad for Kylo because he's just a pawn and has done something he can never come back from.

But I would have been really pissed off if Han had just died at the hands of some crappy looking space pirates, or from a Storm Trooper blast.
pano
Totals M'Gotals

Post by pano »

I read that Kylo's saber crystal is cracked and the crossguard is vents because overheating. Also the cracked crystal is why it has a kind of jagged appearance. I thought that was a pretty cool in-universe explanation for a semi-impractical weapon. I wonder if JJ made it deliberately useful in that brief duel with Finn after the backlash from the original teaser...

I also read a thing today that suggested that Rey was Kylo's younger sister, rather than Luke's daughter. I don't like this theory. Just sayin.

Snoke is a doody-sniffer. Knights of Ren mite b cool.
Grommok
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Grommok »

I hope they end up killing Kylo. How long do you let him slaughter innocents and do other horrible stuff before you say; "Yeah, maybe this dick doesn't deserve redemption." What would Vader have done had he survived in Jedi? How would he have lived with the hundreds of wookieepedia pages of horrible shit he'd done? How would the rest of the galaxy react to the good guys letting this guy live?

So really, they should either answer how Kylo would live with the shit he'd done or kill him while he's still dark side.