I'm getting caught up on some movies

A place where you won't get an infraction for being polite.
badfo
Totals M'Gotals

Re: I'm getting caught up on some movies

Post by badfo »

Imitation Game was a competent movie but not a great one. I think it only got nominated because of the subject matter (which truly is infuriating and tragic) and because Cumbersome portrayed Benny as somebody with Asberger's. By all accounts Turing had social skills and was well-liked. There's also a plot point added to create conflict, and while elements of it are true, they had nothing to do with Turing in real life.

If you can ignore that though it's a perfectly fine movie that you probably won't watch ever again.
Sobchak
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Sobchak »

I'm glad Julianne Moore won. She seems chill. They should reprint DVDs for Evolution with "Academy Award-winner Julianne Moore" on the jacket.

I am surprised Eddie Redmayne won. I've only seen that guy in shit movies like Powder Blue (he plays a character named Qwerty Doolittle). This will fall into "People you can't believe won an Academy Award" lists in the future like Marisa Tomei and Cuba Gooding Jr.
Sobchak
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Sobchak »

Some of Eddie Redmayne's characters' names:
  • Thomas Babington
  • Southampton
  • Qwerty Doolittle
fallenchicken
Totals M'Gotals

Post by fallenchicken »

Did you guys know Eddie Redmayne is 32? I can't believe it. He looks like everyone's ten year old nephew.

I would have given it to Michael Keaton. He was great in Birdman and he deserves one for his career. The Oscars should get rid of the guilds and just put me in charge.
stan van bundy
badfo
Totals M'Gotals

Post by badfo »

Eddie Redmayne was in this two part TV movie called Birdsong and I remember absolutely nothing about it except him and Fleur were there.
Sobchak
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Sobchak »

It's settled: Eddie Redmayne is qwerty doodoo
fallenchicken
Totals M'Gotals

Post by fallenchicken »

Let the Redmayne backlash begin.
stan van bundy
pano
Totals M'Gotals

Post by pano »

I watched Birdman and thoroughly enjoyed. It wouldn't have worked without Keaton because I spent the whole film pretending they were taking about Batman, which I assume was somewhat intentional? I dunno

I will probably finally watch Interstellar now.
fallenchicken
Totals M'Gotals

Post by fallenchicken »

I watched Going Clear, HBO's Scientology doc... amazing. Pretty impressive they had the guts to air that. How many lawyers do you think they've hired in preparation?

It's terrible sad and creepy but also the Standing Tall song is stuck in my head.

stan van bundy
badfo
Totals M'Gotals

Post by badfo »

I thought it was a good documentary. It didn't cover a lot of things (like Shelly Miscavige not having been seen in public since 2007) but you really could air a two hour program every night for a week and still have things left out.

Jason Beghe was incredibly compelling to watch. So was Sara Goldberg. Paul Haggis did a great job explaining why Scientology was attractive to him and then how all the bullshit just piles up.
isgrelindisguise
Totals M'Gotals

Post by isgrelindisguise »

I'm pretty pumped about the Rock and Jason Statham beating the shit out of each other.
hi
fallenchicken
Totals M'Gotals

Post by fallenchicken »

I have the feeling that some of the major stuff that was left out was left out for legal reasons.
stan van bundy
Sobchak
Totals M'Gotals

Post by Sobchak »

HBO hiring 160 lawyers before that documentary released was a headline a couple times. Probably smart, probably a good marketing ploy, too. That documentary was crazy, didn't even know about Shelly Miscavige.

I DID watch 25 minutes of Tom Cruise's ridiculously long "Freedom Medal of Valor" award montage and holy shit it's bonkers. Just the arrogance it. I remember seeing that interview in splices all the time but never watched the whole thing, and I always assumed it was all from some five-minute Diane Sawyer interview, but watching Cruise jabber for half an hour about how Scientologists are saviors is crazy.

phpBB [video]

There is a worldwide arena where the game is played for the fate of whole populations... *camera shutter camera shutter*

Hilarious the award was invented just for this moment.